King Edward Park Stratford

About

To mark the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902, a variety of trees and a suspension bridge were planned to span the Patea River between the Page Street Reserves and the town centre. The planted area became known as King Edward’s Park and later the reserves on both sides of the river were incorporated into the park.

The main access to the park is through the historic Malone Gates on the corner of Fenton and Portia Streets. The concrete gates were built in 1923 as a tribute to Colonel William George Malone, who was killed at Chunuk Bair in 1915.

Nearby a commemorative lone pine tree was planted in 1968 with a seedling from Gallipoli’s Lone Pine Ridge. Rhododendron plants from the Exbury Estate in Southampton were planted in the 1950s along with seeds from the Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh.

Named after a Parks and Reserves Committee Chairman, Mr Edward Wallace McCullough, the McCullough Rhododendron Dell includes a pond, selections of rhododendron hybrids, azaleas, hydrangeas and native and exotic shrubs and trees.

Surrounding the Scout Den, a sloping lawn leads to a grassed stage with views of the Patea River. To the east is a shaded picnic area.

Today, the park encompasses the Stratford Holiday Park, TSB Swimming Pool Complex, playing fields, netball courts, a children’s playground, and the Centennial Rest Room built in 1949.

Contact Details

Physical Address

Cnr Fenton and Portia Street

Website

Website

Disabled Access

Suitable wheelchair access

Location