The Gables Colonial Hospital/ Taranaki Society of Arts Gallery

About

Built in 1848, The Gables is the last of four hospitals built in the North Island as part of Governor George Grey’s
policy to assimilate Māori into Pakeha culture. The Gables was erected at Te Henui and it became known as the ‘Native hospital.' 

Now, the gallery hosts an ever-changing programme of artworks, all of which are for sale. There are also classes held by artist volunteers and a small museum display of medical artefacts along with some antique furniture in the building.

Open: Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays; 1-4pm

Contact Details

Physical Address

Brooklands Drive (off Brooklands Road), New Plymouth

Disabled Access

Suitable wheelchair access

Location